Eruv Under Construction
We are sure that you would want to be informed on what is happening with the Eruv and, more importantly, the question on everyone’s lips is "When will it be finished and operational?
We did anticipate that the Eruv would become operational by Rosh Hashana. Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond our control this has not been possible.
After our previous experience, we are reluctant to be specific on the completion date. However, we are endeavouring to have things completed within the next few months, but please be aware that we are reliant on others for some of the work to be completed and thus our timeline is subject to change.
Some of the things that still have to be done are: -
- Erect 3 Lampposts
- Fit 11 new Lamppost heads
- 10 small fence repair jobs
- Erect 6 Lechis under various bridges
- Minor works to be done in Bowker Vale, Crumpsall and Heaton Park metro stations
- Connect all poles and lampposts with wires
- Rabbi Rochman shlita & Rabbi Eisenstein shlita to recheck every cm of the Eruv
Another question we are being asked is "Why has it taken so long?"
You may not be aware but our small committee have been working very hard for more than nine years and we are nearly there!
Some of the things that have been done:
- 6 years of planning the route – employing, from Israel, Rabbi Rochman and Rabbi Eisenstein who are the world’s foremost experts on Eruvim
- Submitting and getting plans passed by 3 different Local Authorities
- Presenting the case for the Eruv to local communities
- Setting up website
- 2 years of raising the capital sum of £350,000 (still £30,000 short)
- Insertion of 110 poles
- Erecting 14 metal gateways
- 1.1km of fencing along the metro from Crumpsall to Bowker Vale
- 60 other smaller fencing works
- Communicating with all the local Rabbonim
Lastly, there is still one other major obstacle. The Eruv will be under the supervision of the Manchester Beth Din and they will not grant a hechsher for the Eruv until all the money needed for the annual maintenance of the Eruv (for supervision, inspection, licences and repairs) – about £35,000 per annum – is in place.
As we write, we have raised about £15,000 towards this but we need to raise the balance
We, the Eruv committee, have worked ceaselessly for many years to get to where we are. Now we need YOU to help. Please ask all your friends, relations etc to go on line to our website www.manchestereruv.org.uk and donate. NOW!!!
Thank you for all your support.
The Eruv Committee
More details about rabbinic support for the eruv can be found
You can find out more information about the Eruv on this website, including the
current status of the Eruv,
a map and common questions.
Please help us find the money to construct the Eruv. You can donate
on this website or call 07451 043 372 for more information donating.